How to make invisible ink at home?
If you have ever thought about the endless possibilities of secret correspondence with friends, you will certainly be interested in how to make invisible ink. At home, you can write a secret message in several ways. All the methods below are completely safe and can be freely used in children's games about spies and scouts
If you have ever thought about the endless possibilities of secret correspondence with friends, you will certainly be interested in how to make invisible ink. At home, you can write a secret message in several ways. All the methods below are completely safe and can be freely used in children's games about spies and scouts.
The simplest recipe
Perhaps in adventure books or children's detectives you have already mentioned the mention that you can use ordinary lemon juice as a secret substance for spyware messages. It is incredible, but a fact: in order to know firsthand how to make invisible ink, it is not at all necessary to own specific tools or technically sophisticated equipment. For an exciting experiment, you will need materials and objects that can be found in any household, namely:
- half a lemon;
- a bowl;
- cotton swab;
- White paper;
Once you have collected all the necessary items, you can proceed to the first experience. Subsequently, you can proudly show your friends how to make invisible ink at home without any prior preparation. So:
- Squeeze some lemon juice into a bowl and add a few drops of plain water.
- Mix the juice and water using a spoon.
- Dip a cotton swab into the mixture and write your message on white paper.
- Wait until the juice dries and becomes completely invisible.
- When you are ready to read or demonstrate your secret message, heat the paper, holding it closer to the light on.
How it works
Lemon juice is an organic substance that oxidizes and turns brown when heated. The juice is diluted with water so that when the resulting mixture is applied to the paper, the letters and symbols practically disappear from the surface. Nobody even guesses that something is written on the leaf until you heat the message. Other substances work on the same principle - for example, orange juice, honey, milk, onion juice, vinegar and wine. If you are interested in how to make invisible ink at home in other ways, try to conduct chemical experiments or look at spyware fluids under ultraviolet radiation.
Experiments with soda
A quick chemical experiment can be organized in just a few minutes if you have ordinary baking soda at hand. Moreover, science knows at least two ways how to make invisible ink from this inexpensive powder. Try the following:
- Mix baking soda with water in equal proportions.
- Using a cotton swab, toothpick, or paintbrush, write a message on white paper using baking soda solution as ink.
- Wait for the inscription to dry.
- The first way to read a secret message is to heat the paper - for example, under a light bulb, as is the case with lemon juice. The lines will turn brown.
- The second method is much more interesting. To make it happen, fill all the paper with black grape juice. The message will appear in the form of letters of a contrasting color.
If you have already figured out how to make an invisible ink, please note:
- If you prefer heating as a way of developing a message, make sure that the paper does not ignite - do not use halogen bulbs.
- Baking soda and grape juice interact with each other in an acid-base reaction, producing changes in the color of words and letters.
- The solution can be made weaker by adding one part of baking soda to two parts of water. This will not affect the final effect.
- If you want to make the change of colors more vivid and obvious, take a grape concentrate instead of the usual juice.
Those who are interested in how to make invisible ink will surely like the idea of using many different substances as the main material for secret correspondence. Indeed, many substances are suitable for espionage and reconnaissance correspondence, but it is necessary for secret agents to remember which reagents are used to manifest each of them. If you have forgotten the perfect reagent, do not despair: most of the substances listed below can be developed with acid. So, it is enough to paint the secret paper with lemon juice. Some messages appear when heated, so if you already know how to make invisible ink and write a magic letter with them, keep a source of heat with you.
For the experiment with secret correspondence are ideal:
- phenolphthalein (exhibited by soda);
- vinegar or diluted acetic acid (you can see the message, dipping it in the broth of red cabbage);
- table salt (for developing silver nitrate is enough);
- copper sulfate (sodium iodide or ammonium hydroxide will be needed);
- ferrous sulfate (manifested by soda);
- corn starch or potato starch (iodine solution is needed for reading).
Now you know a lot about how to make invisible ink - you can go exploring!