How to make a compass with your own hands?
It so happens that you need to know exactly which side is south, and which side is north. At home, this can be useful when setting up the antenna, and travelers can’t do without this knowledge, especially in the wild. Of course, the easiest way to use the usual compass. And what if it is not at hand?
It so happens that you need to know exactly which side is south, and which side is north. At home, this can be useful when setting up the antenna, and travelers can’t do without this knowledge, especially in the wild. Of course, the easiest way to use the usual compass. And what if it is not at hand? How to make a compass at home and in nature? It turns out it's very simple. You do not need special tools - only the materials at hand that each house has, or they are easy to get in the woods.
How to make a compass at home
1. In order to make an indispensable attribute of the tourist, you need a needle, a small piece of foam rubber and a mug of water. First you need to take foam rubber, about 3x3 centimeters. He will need us to keep the needle floating and not to sink. We pierce the foam rubber with a needle in the center and place a simple design in a mug of water.
2. In order for it to become a real compass, it remains to magnetize one needle tip. Finding a magnet in an apartment is easy. It is in the headset that holds the doors of the kitchen cabinet, or in the dynamics of the music center. To demagnetize the needle, it is enough to bring one of its tips to the gas burner and hold it over the fire for 20 seconds. Thus, the magnetized tip of the needle will show us the north, the demagnetized tip will tell where the south is. Again, put our design in the water.
3. To understand where the north is and where the south is, stand with your face in the direction of the needle. Remember, in which window the sun shines in your morning (it will be east), respectively, the sun sets in the opposite side - it is west. Now stand along the needle so that the east is on the left and the west is on the right. So you find yourself facing south and your back to the north.
How to make a compass in nature
Sometimes during a hike, for example, in a forest, it is important to know the exact direction of the path in order not to get lost. It turns out to understand where the north, and where the south, is also easy, using the available tools. Consider two options for how to create your compass in extreme conditions.
1. For the first option, you need to find something metallic. Any nail, wire or needle will do. To magnetize our arrow, it is enough to rub it on the hair. Next, nails need to be tied to a string or fishing line and suspended on a static surface (for example, a tree branch). It is important that the thread length is not less than 40 centimeters, otherwise the result will be inaccurate. Now the arrow will accurately show the magnetized end to the north. How to determine the remaining directions of parts of the world, you already know.
2. For the second option you need a bowl of water. Magnetize one end of the arrow and put in a bowl, putting on a piece of bark. The arrow will tell you where the north is.
So now you know how to make a compass in any situation. This procedure does not take much time even in the conditions of a modern apartment, even in a dense forest. It is enough to show a little ingenuity, find suitable materials, create a simple device with your own hands, and you will always know exactly which direction to go. Now you are not afraid of any troubles in the journey.